2K vs 4K Security Cameras
2K 4MP HD Security Cameras:
2K HD Security cameras provide a high resolution picture of 2560×1440 utilizing a 4 megapixel (MP) image sensor. They offer a large improvement over the previous generations of 720P and 1080P recording. Notable differences are increased clarity of faces up to a distance of 40ft away, and significantly increased digital zoom due to more pixel density. 2K cameras generally offer a wider angle of view due to the larger video resolution when compared to 1080P.
Why choose 2K security cameras vs 4K security cameras?
- You feel that 40 ft of facial detail is enough from the mounting location of the camera.
- You are budget-minded and want higher quality than 1080P but don’t want to break the bank right away.
- You want an upgrade path in the future if the 4MP quality cameras do not meet your expectations. You can always move the 4MP camera to a different location and put up a 4K camera in its place.
Often we see small businesses and home users utilizing 2K 4MP IP cameras for their properties, for both inside and outside surveillance.
4K 8MP Security Cameras:
4K security cameras are the highest quality cameras in the industry. A 4K security camera has an 8MP image sensor that is double that of 2K 4MP, allowing video capture that is twice the resolution. With the increase in video resolution it produces a video that is 3840×2160 pixels that is also a substantial improvement over 1920×1080 pixels provided by 1080P.
When comparing 4K to 2K resolution you can expect to see a face all the way up to 70ft away using digital zoom. The high pixel density in a 4K resolution picture creates vivid and crisp video while live viewing or playing back recorded video. During the day, with digital zoom you can zoom-in on stationary license plates, or faces of potential intruders and avoid the pixelation found with lesser quality cameras.
Why choose a 4K security camera versus a 2K security camera?
- You need the highest quality in the industry to protect your home, or business.
- You are looking to “future proof” your security camera system installation and not have to worry about future upgrades.
- You have the available budget for high quality cameras and a powerful recorder with enough storage.